First Families of Orangeburgh District, South Carolina
The link for this page has changed! The new link is http://ogsgs.org/ffam/ffam.php?f=sanger"
Sanger (Zenger Zanger)
SIMON ZENGER was from Oberhasle District, Canton Berne Switzerland and died in Orangeburgh township, South Carolina before 19 Feb 1747[4,5]. He married (1) UNKNOWN in Switzerland. She died before Nov 1737 in Orangeburgh Township, South Carolina[4,5]. He married (2) BARBARA STRAUMAN 3 Nov 1737 in Orangeburgh Township, South Carolina[4,5]. She was born abt. 1709, confirmed 1724 in Waldenburg, BL, Switzerland , and died 21 Mar 1759 in Orangeburgh Township, South Carolina[4,5].
Simon paid 33 pounds, 6 sh. 8 d. emigration tax for himself, a wife and a child. They probably arrived in Charleston on board the Samuel on 13 Jul 1735 and left Charleston on 24 Jul 1735 for Orangeburg. Simon received a grant of 150 acres in Berkley County on 17 Sep 1736.
After the death of Simon, his widow Barbara married Melchior Ott 19 Feb 1747[4,5].
Child of Simon Zenger is:
a. Barbara Zenger, m. John Geiger.
It is not known if this child is from Simon's first or second wife. We know that she inherited her father's land grant upon the death of her mother/stepmother Barbara on 21 Mar 1759 and sold it the following week, 30 Mar 1759, to John and Ulrich Ott, her step brothers.
1. A. B. Faust and G. M. Brumbaugh, Lists of Swiss immigrants in the Eighteenth Century to the American Colonies, Vol. II, pp. 90,91
2. Leo Schelbert, America Experienced;Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Accounts of Swiss Immigrants to the United States, Account of Hans Georg Strigger, pp. 36-41.
3. SC Archives, The South-Carolina Gazette, July 19, 1735 & July 26, 1735..
4. Joop Giesendanner, "The Book of Record, Orangeburgh, SC". http://www.xs4all.nl/~sail/.
5. A. S. Salley, Jr., The History of Orangeburg County, South Carolina, 1898, pp. 94, 97, 98, 107.
6. Evangelische-Reformierte Kirch Waldenburg (Basel), "Kirchenbuch, 1559-1911", FHL INTL Film #953142.
7. SC Archives, Colonial Grants (Simon Zeuger), Ser. S213019, Vol. 0034, Pg. 00511.
8. SC, Deed Book R-3, pp. 450-456
Other references to this surname are found in OGSGS Newsletters: (no references).
Information provided by Joanne Stowe and Jim Rickenbacker on 05/02/04, update 7/25/04.